Sunday, February 26, 2006

As the dust settles ... Lent will begin ...

What do you do when your energy level is in the basement, and you still have too much work to do??

I poked around what is left of the Church today - big hunks of shattered concrete, stones, twisted rebar, and clumps of icy dirt ... only the sign remains above ground level - everything else has been cleared away. It has been a long and challenging week for the crew clearing the site - it took a good three days to clear the steps alone ... They were no doubt tired by the time the weekend came ...

Such is the challenge I face today ... I'm tired ... bone weary and exhausted ... yet we are on a journey just begun ...

I know that today I am totally tired because we've had our AGM and our first congregational conversation about where we're going and what we're doing ... We've decided to rebuild. We've empowered our Board to deal with the issues that will arise from this ... and we've begun accepting (officially) donations to the rebuilding fund.

It's exciting times ... but, it is also exhausting times ... I still have an office to set up - boxes crowd out the available floor space, and the second office in our digs is still 1/2 full of boxes, boxes and more boxes ... Hannah and I made head way in my office space yesterday - we got two shelving units up and filled with books, and tomorrow I have plans to eliminate some more boxes of books, and to cart some books to the Rotary book sale too ... But there is much to do ...

In some ways I suppose this is a feeling of being taken for granted - it's been a long and weary-ing two weeks ... the support of the community has been great, and the encouragement we have gotten from beyond our town has been simply extraordinary ... but I'm tired and feeling outta sorts ... It will likely pass with a good night's sleep, but right now I'm feeling crusty and grumpy ...

I'll be like my Grandpa - he had days (and weeks) like that, and he would say - "It's my right to be grumpy ..." and then smile or wink, or wiggle his ears ... I have never been able to wiggle my ears ... but I have more of Grandpa in me then I care to think about ...

So ... we'll see what tomorrow will bring and face it when it comes ... and all the rest - well, that I will leave in God's hands ... cause that's the best place for it ...

dayenu,

No comments: