Friday, May 05, 2006

The aggravation of computer problems ...

This week the AC adapter on my laptop packed it in ... in and of itself, not a big deal. If I was living in somewhere like Toronto it would have been an easy crisis to resolve ... but in rural Western Manitoba, it became a major hassle.

It meant I was limited in my computer access and unable to cruise the net, blog and do my email easily. Fortunately, I live in a wonderful small town where many people will still go way above and beyond to helpa neighbour.

I have been into the Library three or four times a day to check email and do "computer stuff". I could have gone cold turkey, but the withdrawal symptoms would have been too hard to face.

In reality, I could and did survive without computer access at my fingers. I hauled out my OLD lap top that has served me since I was gifted it in 2000 (it was a 5 year old computer then) - and it helped me do the funeral service I presided at this week. But, the victims' impact statement we are preparing on behalf the church was stuck in my new laptop, and had to wait ... I spent more time in conversation with people, I spent more time out and about in the community, I spent more time reading - all in all it was an okay break from the key board.

The other notable contribution to the week came from Dany Hamel, owner and operator of Minnedosa's Hamel Computer (a business on Main St). Dany and Sandy (his wife and business partner) called right away to order a new AC adapter, and Dany let me charge my laptop in the store, then in the evening loaned me his AC adapter to keep me online ... Talk about service. If there was a reward for exceptional business service Dany and Sandy would have my vote.

Hopefully on Monday the new adapter will arrive and I will be able to carry on ... For now, I will enjoy the chances I get to go online ... and I will appreciate what a treat it really is ...

dayenu,

No comments: