Wednesday, May 31, 2006

UNICEF Boxes History??? (I hope not !!!)



I heard on the CBC news tonight that Unicef is cancelling (after a remarkable 50 years) the Halloween Orange Box campaign in Canada ...

I for one mourn the loss of the little cardboard boxes that appear on our door step each Halloween ... Our three children have been proudly wearing their UNICEF boxes tied around their necks each year (for Rebekkah last year was the year she became a "grown up kid" when she FINALLY got her own UNICEF box - I'm sure she waxed eloquently at age 6 about "waiting my WHOLE life to wear the UNICEF box" ... no one said she isn't prone to the melodramatic !!).

Each Halloween we prepare a bowl of change to be duly dropped in the UNICEF boxes that come our way - admittedly, where we live we don't see lots and lots of boxes, but the ones that arrive are loaded with pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and even loonies and twoonies ... Each small donation is worthwhile ... each small donation can make a difference when added to the many others from across the country.

It's too bad only 3 million dollars are raised each year - it's a worthy cause (anything that helps children in our world is a worthy cause) ... and having organized several penny drives in my day, I know the work involved in rolling pennies - but at the end of the day, rolling pennies and accumulating them together can mean a fair bit of money is raised for a good cause ...

If offering health and life to a child half a world away isn't a good cause, I can't imagine what is ... I hope UNICEF will reconsider ... I hope Canadians, like those who take the time to read my BLOG will help UNICEF consider reconsidering ...

Let's speak out and push to have the ubiquitous little Orange Boxes remain a Halloween Institution for another 50 years - and let's make sure they raise MORE then 3 million in pennies ...

dayenu,

No comments: