Monday, June 05, 2006

Anniversaries and superstitions ...

I feel like this post should start with a dishevelled nude organist playing whilst looking over his shoulder ... with the voice over: "And Now for Something Completely Different ..."

Tomorrow 06/06/06 at 06:06.06 I think my cosmos will implode upon itself and I will suddenly find myself in some strange time/space vortex ...

I'm flirting with a wide variety of superstitions here ... not only do the time and date create the infamous number of the beast - I'm marking the 13th Anniversary of my Ordination ...

Now, on one hand I have to say it is a very appropriate day for such an anniversary given the nature of my ministry and the tumultuous journey I have marked in the last 13 years ... But the other part of me is screaming (loudly): "Dude !! You're screwed !!!"

So, for now I will say - Adieu as I like the various apocalyptic visionaries before me prepare for the end of time as we know it ... I won't urge my followers to sell all their possessions and join me as I climb to the top of a mountain to await the second coming ...

I won't suggest that the scroll of time is about to be rerolled by some great cosmis force ...

I won't even strap on a sign and march up and down the Main St of Minnedosa proclaiming - "the end is near ..."

Instead I'll give thanks for the last 13 years of ministry, and trust that tomorrow morning is nothing more then a numeric fluke ... Although, after all the hype over Y2K, I have to wonder if sooner or later the doomsayers might finally get it right ...

To paraphrase Woody Allen - "the end of time doesn't scare me ... I just don't want to be there when it happens ..."

peace,

No comments: