Thursday, December 11, 2008

with a heavy heart ...

The phone rang too early ... it's seldom good news when the phone rings in the pre-dawn darkness, and today was no exception ...

News came to M that her father died through the night ... she relayed it to me and we began planning for a road trip to the north end of Vancouver Island ...

Not sure what the next fews days will hold beyond a winter drive across three Provinces to gather with M's family to say good bye to a grand old cowboy who started his life in the shadow of the former Hudson Bay Trading Post in Bella Coola ... ranched in the Chilcotin outside of Anahim Lake ... logged on the coast around Port Hardy ... and spent his retirement years on the shore of Hardy Bay fretting over his dogs, his girls and his grandkids ...

I told Hannah what I will miss most about her Grandfather was hearing his laugh when the kids were up to something and his willingness to sit in his rocking chair beside the stove for hours with a wee grandkid nestled in his arms sleeping ... John was an interesting character and one helluva father in law ... and he will be missed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My condolences to M and yourself and the kids. have a safe trip.

j

Anonymous said...

Shawn, So sorry to hear about your family's loss. Have a safe trip.

Me

Candygirlflies said...

I, too, am so sorry for your loss.

Safe travels.

xo CGF

Anonymous said...

such sad news. we send our prayers and love. the loss of a dad or grandfather goes deep-so deep..especially a good dad-grandad!
wendy

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear of your loss...

Susannah Anderson said...

So sorry to hear; it's a sad loss. Drive carefully. I hope you have decent weather for the trip.

Unknown said...

Hey bro

sorry I am not there in the loops to see all five of you as you pass through on the funeral train. I hope the big smelly D made something hearty for your stomachs, I know the hugs would have been hearty!! I am thinking of you and M and the three weeds every day. I recall J.'s amused response whenever I called Port Hardy looking for M (usually she had just left or was not there yet!). Another Chilcotin cowboy gone. Sigh