Saturday, February 06, 2010

MY Olympic Protest ...

I seriously can NOT believe that the International Olympic Committee is asking the Aussies to remove a Boxing Roo flag from the balconies of the Athletes' Village in Vancouver (click to read the current CBC story) ... the reason cited is that the symbol is a TRADEMARKED symbol and is therefore in-eligible to be displayed at an Olympic Venue ...

Really???

Between VANOC and the IOC the grip they have on reality is a fleeting thing ... the marketing juggarnaut has been nothing short of OBSCENE, and then there is the whole "made in China" fiasco that includes the marketing of Made in China "authentic" Cowichan wool sweaters available at HBC locations everywhere ...

I for one am SICK of the whole Olympic Hype. I am interested in the success of Minnedosa's Kyle Parrot who is appearing in FOUR speed skating events ... and I hope our athletes do well, but as for VANOC and the IOC - I say a pox on all their houses ... they've lost sight of what the Olympics are supposed to be about ...

It's about the competition ... the whole higher, stronger, faster, further bit ... but the Olympics today are about profit, marketing and control ... I yearn for the days of Eddie the Eagle Edwards, and the Jamaican Bobsledding team that showed us what the Olympics are supposed to about ... unfortunately, the rules have been changed and the standards have been set and the joy of competiting has been replaced by the marketing juggarnaut's desire to squeeze every last penny out of the events ...

So, to the Aussies who in thier own indomitable way have reminded us what's important - I say "Cheers Mate !" ... I wish there was an outlet in Brandon that sold Aussie flags bearing the boxing Roo - I for one would proudly hang it in front of my house and wear it as my personal protest against what the Olympics have become ... I'm all for competition and doing the best you can ... sadly though, our modern world is about being the best, the first and winning gold at all cost ... Thankfully there are still voices out there who remember what the Olympic Spirit is !!!

No comments: