Friday, December 31, 2010

Unboxed ...



It was just over twenty years ago, I was privileged to take a six week study tour to the Middle East, and visit sites in Jordan, Egypt and throughout Israel.

During my time there I took over 1000 pictures, wrote copious notes in my journal, and collected a variety of mementos and gifts ... some, like the olive wood chess set, and the olive wood sculptures remain cherished items in my office and home, while others were given to family and friends ... To be honest, I've lost track of what I brought back and who was given what ...

Then this year, at our family Boxing Day dinner (our Christmas gathering) my cousins gave me a tiny wrapped parcel ... the driedel wrapping paper was beautiful, and their words to the effect of: "this is just returning something to you ..." were apt.

I opened the box and discovered inside a collection of tiny olive wood Christmas decorations I had given to my grand parents when I returned ... some hung over Grandpa's bed in the care facility that was his home for the last years of his life ... others hung at Grandma's on her tiny Christmas tree during the Christmas season, and on the living room curtains during other times of the year ... I had long ago forgotten about them ... but as I opened the box and peered inside I was stuck by a wave of memories ... memories of my Grandparents, memories of my trip ... memories of many bits and pieces of my life thus far ...

It was a splendid gift that borders on the priceless. And yet the ornaments themselves were purchased for mere pennies, and were given because they were cute and were something I could bring back for my Grandpa and Grandma ... and now, I have a reminder of them and of the gift they brought to my life and my world ...

No comments: