Saturday, January 01, 2011

And so it begins ... thoughts for the new year ...



I suspect that if I reclaimed all the minutes, hours, and days I've sacrificed to worry and fear, I'd add years to my life.

When I succumb to worry, I open a Pandora's Box of terrifying pictures, paranoid voices, and relentless self-criticism. The more attention I pay to this mental static, the more I lose my foothold in reality. Then nothing useful can be accomplished.

To break the cycle of worry and fear, I am learning to focus ALL my attention on this very moment.

I can turn away from destructive thoughts and concentrate instead on the sights and sounds around me: light and shadows, the earth beneath my feet, the pulse of everyday living - all pieces of the here-and-now. These bits and pieces of reality help rescue me from the 'what ifs' and the 'should haves' by anchoring me in the present.

Prayer and meditation, reminders, and phone calls from trusted friends are other sources of serenity that bring me back to this moment.

As I shut out the noise, I am more receptive to my Higher Power's will, and therefore more able to work my way through difficult times.

This day is ALL I have to work with, and it is all I need. If I am tempted to worry about tomorrow's concerns, I will gently bring my mind back to today.


I'm not a big believer in New Year's Resolutions ... but this crossed my path in the last few days, and as I read it, I realized that my 'resolution' will be to be more intentional about focusing on what I have control over (the present) and living my life from a positive place ... may 2011 be full of such blessings for you and yours !!

Dayenu !!!

No comments: