Monday, May 21, 2012

WOW !!!!






I find it hard to believe that it was 18 years ago today that I was telling people in Bella Coola that our son had arrived safely through the night ... his first visitor, aside from the staff on at the hospital was our Church Organist/Pianist Elma who was in hospital having been diagnosed with cancer a few days earlier ... in the darkness as I wandered down the hall holding and admiring my new born son, I heard a voice whisper from the room "Is it a boy or a girl?"

"A BOY," I said proudly, then I took wee Noahkila in to introduce him to Elma.

"Oh what a beautiful boy," she said smiling.

A few minutes later one of the local RCMP officers stopped in. He had noticed our van there earlier and figured the big day must have arrived. Tim M, in full uniform took Noahkila from my arms and said softly "Hello little man," and smiled at the very new born boy.

It seems like only yesterday Noahkila was an infant, then a toddler, and then a bright eyed school boy heading off into the grand adventures his mind could conjure up ... along the way he has taught me much about dinosaurs, pirates, parenting, and perhaps most of all being a proud father.

I have sssssooooo many memories of my kids and what they've taught me ... I have indelible images of Noahkilla chugging up the aisle at Augsburg Church in Hagesnborg to help himself to 'MO BREAD!!' after communion and showing us all what Communion SHOULD be about ... I see him asking the Kemodo Dragon keeper tough questions one wintery afternoon at the Metro Zoo ... I see him boldly exploring the beaches of Port Hardy and fighting off Ninjas, Dragons, Bears and all manner of monsters that would dare to attack his fortress ... I see him heading off to school ear puds firmly plugged in, shoulder slightly hunched and his head full of all manner of ideas both strange and wondrous ... in a single instance, I see and remember these images and so much more ... and I am filled with awe at what a wonderful young man he has become.

We have our differences, and there are moments I lose my temper and rage at him ... but under it all, beyond the frustrations and the aggravations, I am proud of my son ... and I am proud of my daughters ... and I am delighted that I have them in my life ... with everything we've wandered through and endured in the last year, I know that my world would be a lonelier place without my three marvelous children ... and 18 years ago today, I became "Poppa" for the first time, and I have loved EVERY moment of the journey.

I love you so much Noahkila!! And in case I don't say it enough - I am proud of the young man you have become!!

Happy Birthday my son!!!

No comments: