Wednesday, July 08, 2009

And now we return to our regular programming ...


I LOVED the video for Thriller.
I know the words to most of his songs.
I will admit that I like some of his songs ...
.
BUT ... his music was NOT part of the SOUNDTRACK to my life ... I am NOT a fan ... and I found the last twenty years of his life and his bizarre behaviour troubling ...
.
I was saddened by his death, but it didn't really affect me personally ... he was and is simply another dead celebrity.
.
I WILL however admit that I was and remain DISGUSTED by the circus that surrounds his death ... he was not a "great humanitarian", he was not responsible for the election of Barak Obama, he was not the most original and impressive musician of all time, and he is NOT on par with the likes of Jesus, Gandhi or Martin Luther King ... Michael Jackson was nothing more than a singer and entertainer who was obviously deeply troubled ...
.
Today, I fear for his children being under the "control" of his parents ... Joe and Katherine did such a good job raising their own kids, I'm sure they'll do a fabulous job NOW raising thier grandkids ...
.
My one prayer is that Michael may finally be able to find the peace in death that eluded him so completely in life ...
.
In the meantime, I found an article on line this morning that summarizes many of my thoughts about the last couple of weeks ... from CTV.ca, Josh Visser notes:
.
But here's the rub: Three weeks ago, Jackson was seen by most people as a joke at best; or another rich celebrity who got away with horrible crimes, at worst. ... There was only one Michael Jackson -- there wasn't a brilliant entertainer who existed until 1987 and then his freakish clone who dabbled in plastic surgery, and spent some his time showing, at best, incredibly poor judgment around children. ... You can choose to only remember his music -- in fact, you're probably best off for it. But let's not misremember his legacy, like we have for a dozen other artists. In life, Jackson won more accolades than any other artist in history, in death, he doesn't deserve any new ones created in our collective minds.
.
To read the complete article click here: Michael Jackson and the False Narrative Phenomenon

No comments: