Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Blogger Connections ...


Today, I had lunch in Toronto with a new friend that I met via facebook thanks to my friendship with Pastor Blake, the brilliant mind behind one of my favourite Blogs. The Laughing Pastor was first pointed out to me by a Congregant who claimed I was writing it under an assumed name ... over the last few years Blake has wrestled with some big issues, and continued to live and preach a message of joy and laughter that stands boldly in the dark places of our world and proclaims the certainty that not only is God present, but God pours out abundant and joy-filled grace upon us without hesitation!!

Though we've yet to meet in person, I consider Pastor Blake a good friend ... we've spoken via email, texts, and phone calls ... we've travelled a road with many twists and turns, and more than a few ups and downs ... along the way, he's inspired me, challenged me, and left me laughing inspite of tears that have come ...

Today I sat down with a long time friend of Blake's who was visiting Toronto and wanted to meet for lunch ... over lunch Bonnie presented me with a beautiful Cross made in Mexico and bought as a gift to me from my friend and fellow blogger Blake!!

Over our meal we talked about life and recent deaths we've both experienced, the challenges facing the Church and ourselves, and we as we talked, I realized how small a planet we inhabit ... we truly live in a global village which gets smaller with each new technology ... today, the Church has the potential to engage in new forms of ministry using those technologies if it can overcome the fear that accompanies the arrival of something new ...

Today, in addition to being appreciative of having folks like Blake and Bonnie as friends, I also appreciate being in a place with people who value and actively encourage the use of Blogs, Facebooks, Web Pages and other new technologies to help spread the Word !! Over a Century ago, the building housing St John's United Church was opened by Egerton Ryerson himself, and since I learned that, I have wondered why ... maybe today the answer is being revealed ... the innovator, Ryerson wanted to lay his 'blessing' on a church community that would not only survive may set backs and challenges, but would prosper in the face of adversity, and would then live the Resurrection by BOLDLY and COURAGEOUSLY explore new ways and means of BEING CHURCH !!

They say 'the proof is in the pudding' ... today I think a taste revealed the pudding to be sweet indeed !!!

THANKS BLAKE, for your friendship and for the inspiration you continue to share!!

1 comment:

laughing pastor said...

Lord, man....you made me cry. I've savored these words more than you can ever know. Wow. I had come to believe church and faith for that matter was stale, if not on deaths doorstep. Friendships like yours have helped me to discover again the meaning and purpose of this thing we call ministry.