Tuesday, February 26, 2008

An Ode to Give Thanks For ...

Today over at The Perpetual Search for Personal Nirvana I found an absolutely beautiful offering about homelessness ... it was breath-taking and inspiring ... as I read it the only words I could offer was "May it one day be so ..."

I warned My Own Woman, the creator that I might borrow it ... by the time I posted a comment my might turned to a "ah heck - I WILL borrow it!!!" ... so below is the beautiful call to action from true prophetic voice:

I should be my brother's keeper because we now share the same air,
I should be my brother's keeper because we once shared the same womb.
How can I live in peace and harmony knowing my brother lives in despair?
How can I live in happiness when I know that soon his fate will be a sealed tomb?

Once when I was young, I did not give a care,
To the inequality that now possesses my room.
I am my brother's keeper because we now share the same air,
I am my brother's keeper because we once shared the same womb.

Here I sit all nice and cozy within the confines of my lair,
While they feel the chill of the elements that whips deep within their gloom.
My children close beside me as I stroke their gleaming hair,
The homeless not so lucky to have by their feet their children loom.

I hear my brother calling, he begs, how can I not care?"
I would not be in this predicament if I could only share your room.
I must be my brother's keeper because we now share the same air,
I must be my brother's keeper because we once shared the same womb.

I drop a nickle in a tin cup and feel I've done my share,
While I brush the crumbs that fall to the floor into the garbage with my dustpan and my broom.
Oh the waste I see around me; some I've made with my own hands I do declare.
Yet I've never seen a homeless man drop a spec of food from his tomb.

I should be my brother's keeper because we now share the same air,
I am my brother's keeper because we once shared the same womb.
I must be my brother's keeper because we now share the same air,
I WILL be my brother's keeper because we once shared the same womb.

No comments: