Thursday, November 18, 2010

Priest, Preachers, Prophets and Poets ...

Today I had an epiphany ... one of our parishoners here talked about her newly published book of poetry, and reflected on the transformative journey that her words represent ... she talked of her spiritual journey and the healing and transformation that she has experienced in finding her voice and having the courage to share the words of her spirit with others ...


As she spoke I realized several things ... the first was her acknowledgement of sharing her thoughts and words as a vocation resonated with me ... secondly, her connection of her words to her faith and to a call from the Holy Spirit inspired me ... and thirdly, her courage challenged me to remember the urgent need for poets, prophets and those who are willing to live on the margins of the Church, reaching out in non-traditional ways, and speaking the words the people of God not only need to hear, but yearn to hear.

I have long been a fan of people ranging from Jim Wallis through to Joan Chittister and Ann Weems, and I rely on thier words and works and example as I move through ministry ... yesterday I realized how vital the voices of the poets and the prophets are to a healthy and balanced Church. But more than just realizing something I've already know, I had my being opened to the simple reality that for the first time in many, many, many, years, I am in a place where the voices of poets and prophets are not squelched and silenced, but affirmed and lifted up ... In this community the surrounding milieu of artisans and people who have chosen a different life path than society's status quo means that the spiritual tone of the faith community is one that is open and welcoming.

It is a welcome that is lived out by embracing and embodying outreach that moves far beyond traditional Bible Study and Sunday morning worship ... Euchre gatherings, coffee groups, and other small group ministry within the realm of this Pastoral Charge means Church is dynamic, fluid and non-traditional. The expression of the Gospel in this context is open and welcoming to the breadth of human spirituality that is lived and affirmed here in this place ... the voices of the poets and the prophets are not only free to speak - they are welcomed and heard and celebrated.

Today, for the first time in my ministry, I feel free to be myself ... to speak my heart and mind, and to no longer fear the revenge of those who stand in places of fear and discomfort and who want only Priests and Preachers, but not the uncertainty and dynamism of Poets and Prophets who hear the voice of the Spirit and dance to the music that echoes across the sands of time ...

Poetic voices are needed in the church to remind us of the need to follow the Spirit ... Prophetic voices are needed in the church to call us beyond the comfort of the moment and inspire us to more than may think we're capable of ... the problem arises when the status quo seeks to silence those voices.

Today I celebrate being in a place where poetic and prophetic voices are given room to speak, and where they are heard and encouraged ...

As the ancient reply says quite eloquently: "Speak Lord, your servant is listening ..."

No comments: