Thursday, November 02, 2006

Looking backwards ... Looking Forwards ...

The Chairman of the Board was famous for singing: "Regrets? I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention ..."

I've been thinking about mistakes and regrets and misteps today ... and because it's a Film Noire kind of day ... I keep hearing the voice of Bogart ringing in my ears ...

Let me explain:

I've been thinking about the journeys we make through life ... there are twists and turns, ups and downs, highs and lows ... choices are made, options are ignored, and life is lived ... and there are usually some regrets along the way ...

Then one day we look back and gaze forward and have to take stock of the moment and consider where we may go from here. Life is such a delightful mystery, sometimes all we can do it carry on and hope for the best, while working to make the best happen ...

As I stand in such a place the only voice I hear is that of Bogart's in Casablanca turning to Ingrid Bergman's character and saying - "We'll always have Paris ..."

Bogart said it which such confidence ... he wasn't worried about what lay ahead ... he was living in the moment ... he wasn't looking back with regret ... he simply stated the obvious - "we'll always have Paris ..." The rest of it is beyond our control, so why worry about it ??

If only it were so simple ... then again, it can't hurt to try ...

No comments: