Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Musings on Plastic JesusES I've known ...


In my previous posting, I mused about the plural for Jesus, when referring to Jesus figurines ... There have been some answers offered which all seem reasonable, but I got an email from a friend who consulted the Oxford English Dictionary and reports - "there is NO plural of Jesus ..." Thanks Heather, and like many times before - the argument is ended right there !!!

But now I feel compelled to share two stories about my plastic Jesus figurines I've encountered ... The first figure was a Jesus nightlight given to me by a friend ... In time Jesus migrated to our van and sat there for many months until one afternoon while I was coaching soccer, the boys on the team found him and adopted him as the team mascot. From that point on one of them had Jesus on the side lines during each game ... through a deft manipulation of their hands, he clapped for the good plays, and offered his prayers for the bad ones ... Comments like "Jesus says 'don't play angry ...'" were legion ... Members of opposing teams were shocked, offended, horrified and intrigued - sometimes simultaneously. It was all fun ...

The other Jesus figure was like the one pictured above - he has silent glide action wheels - posable arms and perpetual smile. Before the fire, he sat on my desk and since has been sitting on our dining room table where I do my computer work ... He is sooooo silly he makes me laugh.

And as Neibuhr said - "laughter IS the beginning of prayer ..."

Oh, and the Jesus bandages? I got an email about them from a heathen Anglican this morning, and I just had to post them ... I also need to get me some ... and I really wonder what the free toy inside would be ... Perhaps a mini-wipe to "wipe our sins away!"??

So class, say it with me - "there is no plural of Jesus" ... could it be because he is The One ???

Nah ...

Let us begin our prayers with laughter ... AMEN !!!

No comments: