Saturday, November 11, 2006

Reflection on Remembrance Day


Today in communities across Canada formal Ceremonies were held to mark our National Day of Remembrance. In some places the services are a quaint happening that most people over look. In some places, life stops for the day in tribute to those who went to war.

In Minnedosa a formal Service of Remembrance was held in the Community Hall with a large number of people in attendance.

Even though I haven't been asked to participate in the main community commemeration of Remembrance Day since my time in Bella Coola BC, the act of Remembrance remains important to me.

Each year as part of our Congregational worship life, we pause on the Sunday nearest to Remembrance Day to pause and remember. Each fall we pause to remember fallen Police and Peace Officers on the last Sunday of September. And I have been honoured to be asked over the last five years to deliver a reflection at Services of Remembrance held at the High and Elementary Schools here in Minnedosa. This year I was invited to address the student body of MCI.

I've posted my reflection over at the blog for Minnedosa United Church: (http://minnedosaunited.blogspot.com)

I would invite you to bounce over there and read my musings if you would like ... but in the meantime, make sure you take a moment today to pause and remember those who have risked and sacrificed themselves in times of war ... This year in Minnedosa a young man wounded in Afghanistan laid a wreath in honour of his comrades in arms, and his comrades (44 of them) who have fallen in Afghanistan ... He reminded ALL of us that when our nation is at war, there is a real cost to be borne by real people ...

This year We Remember !
Lest We Forget.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo of the cenotaph in Stratford! Did you know that the artist is a famous Canandian: Walter Seymour Allward (1876-1955), and he is also responsible for the spectacular Vimy Ridge Monument in Pas-De-Calais...

--Heathen Anglican

Reverend Shawn said...

Yes. But thanks for that ... The Stratford Cenotaph remains one of my favourite places ... I miss it terribly, and enjoy getting back to it whenever I can.