Saturday, November 04, 2006

Reading at the moment ...


Some of the best books I've read have come to me as recomendations from friends, or as gifts. The book I'm currently reading is no exception to that.

Offered by a friend as a book that I should read, Gilead by Marilynne Robinson is about an aging minister, (who is himself the son and grandson of ministers) offering his reflection, wisdom, regrets and struggles to his own son ... a son with whom he clearly struggles ...

It's been awhile since I've started a book that keeps me turning pages and interested ... (The last one was also recommended by a friend - The History of Love).

But what continues to strike me in this book, are the observations about ministry and life as a clergyperson ... Robinson often hits the nail precisely on the head.

One passage stood out for me yesterday:

That's the strangest thing about this life, about being in the ministry. People change the subject when they see you coming. And then sometimes those very same people come into your study and tell you the most remarkable things. There's a lot under the surface of life, everyone knows that. A lot of malice, dread, and guilt and so much loneliness, where you wouldn't really expect to find it either.

No comments: