Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Another Letter to Prime Minister Harper ...


Dear Mr Harper:

I don't think you've read my previous correspondance to you. I understand if you've been too busy. Afterall, running a country like Canada, while being a husband, father and so on, must be challenging.

But I felt compelled to write you again today after hearing Mr Strahl speaking on the recent elections to the Board of the Canadian Wheat Board. I know you're a busy man, but I hope you are aware of the statements your colleague is making that would suggest that he has no respect of the democratic process that our wheat farmers have recently engaged in.

To me, as a non farmer, the outcome of the election of directors to the Board would seem to suggest that the direction being touted by Mr Strahl is NOT the direction sought by the prairie wheat farmers. But then, what do I know? I thought the issue of same sex marriage was one that was clearly decide some time ago. Clearly there is a reason you are running the country and I'm not.

For now though Mr Harper, I would raise the concern that one of your cabinet ministers is operating in a way that is contrary to your expressed values of democracy. If the farmers clearly speak through the election process, is there a compelling reason why Mr Strahl would continue to push for something that no one else wants?

Well Mr Harper, I know you are busy and I shouldn't waste any more of your time on such frivolous things like the rights of prairie farmers to determine the future of something as unimportant as the Canadian Wheat Board, but I do hope you take time to consider these matters. In places like Minnedosa, it is a hot topic of conversation, and even your colleague Mr Inky Mark,(in case you've forgotten who he is, he's our MP, and even though I don't agree with everything he stands for, I DO agree with his stance in regards to the CWB) has spoken out for the right of farmers to be the ones to decide the fate of the CWB.

Mr Harper, you one condemned the previous government for it's arrogance. I fear that Mr Strahl is taking a page out of Mr Chretien's manual. You should consider stopping him before he further harms your government's chances at a re-election.

I offer all of this for your consideration and reflection. Mr Harper, I would once again offer you coffee and a slice of cheesecake at Chipperfield Coffee Company here in Minnedosa, if you want to stop by. I promise you I won't ask you about running the country. Instead perhaps we could take some time to look over the new church. It would be a good way to spend a wintery afternoon. Just call when you're in town, coffee will be on me. It's the least I can do.

Take care, and in case we don't talk before Christmas - Merry Christmas to you and your family. I haven't got your card yet. It must have been delayed in the mail.

sincerely yours,
shawn from minnedosa

No comments: