Sunday, December 10, 2006

I'm Proud to be United ...


It is not unanimous by any means even within the United Church, but as a denomination we have affirmed the right of Gays and Lesbians to celebrate their Marriages both as civil and religious ceremonies.

Personally, I have no problem with this. Though, I know that it remains a sensitive an issue for many people I care deeply about, and whom I call friends.

But in today's headlines, I have found an item that makes me proud to be a member of the United Church of Canada ...

Daniel Poirier and Jack Murphy, both life long Catholics ran an announcement in a Nova Scotia newspaper celebrating their marriage, an action that heterosexual couples do all the time. But for the two men it would mean the end of their ability to partake in the sacrament of communion at their parish church. The order came down from the Archbishop. The two men are in violation of Church teachings, and therefore must withdraw themselves from communion or alter their lifestyles.

For both men it was a painful decision. But they have wandered down the street and been welcomed into the United Church ...

I'm sad that the two men were rejected in such a way by their own church, but I am pleased and proud that the United Church is a place where they can, will be and are made welcomed.

No comments: