Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Case for Shopping Locally ...

While the so-called "experts" tell us that big block chain stores are the way of the future, I am one who tenaciously holds to the values of small, family owned, local businesses like the Small Town Hardware store ...

Back in the days when we lived in Bella Coola we used to stop periodically in Anahim Lake in the heart of the Chilcotin ranching country of central BC. We would stop at Christiansen Store more for a visit with Darcy, the owner, than to buy anything (Darcy is a cousin to M's father). The store was a great place to look around. They had almost everything imaginable in stock somewhere, and their motto was "If we don't have it, you don't need it."

This weekend, I had an experience that reminded me of the joys of small town Hardware stores ...

The kids and I were looking to replace a silicon spatula I had broken baking cinnamon buns earlier this week. The broken spatula was bought at a high end kitchen store a year or so ago in Brandon. We went to the local hardware store in the vain hope of finding one ... I wasn't expecting to, and after looking down the kitchen ware aisle, Ms H and I were discussing the possibility of a trip to Brandon to get a replacement spatula and a silicon brush for bread baking ...

I was dreading the thought of going to Brandon so close to Christmas ... I shuddered at the thought ...

Then Ms H and I came out of the aisle and were confronted with a display of sets of silcone kitchen utensils ... in the box was a small spatula like that I wanted to replace, a silicone brush and two other spatulas ... I was thrilled. Not only was I spared a trip to Brandon, I actually found what I wanted cheaper than I had found it ANYWHERE in Brandon !!

So, all I can say is: "Merry Christmas Gord and Kathy and all your staff. And Thanks !!"

No comments: