Friday, January 23, 2009

Congrats ...

Today on the Noon Show on CBC Radio One in Manitoba, Chipperfield Coffee Company was featured as a 'Must See' point on Stuart McLean and the Vinyl Cafe's tour stop in Minnedosa Manitoba, with proprietor and owner Ross M, sharing some of the delightful attributes of this corner of rural Manitoba.

I'd like to think I had a small part in helping make it happen with my invitation to Stuart on his last tour through Western Canada that saw him travelling from Saskatoon to Brandon (look on a map Hwy 16 goes right past Minnedosa!!). 'Stop in for a cup of coffee and a visit,' I urged him on behalf of the owners and staff of a once cherished place in my life ... and my call last week to CBC plugging Chipperfields as "a place for Stuart to visit." I wasn't alone in naming Chipperfields as the "must see" place ... but I started that campaign months and months and months ago ...

I honestly hope that Stuart takes time to stop in and meet the real life inspiration behind the character J--, who featured so prominently in my stories over a The Chipperfield Chronicles, and I hope Stuart gets a chance to see the many good things in Minnedosa, and meet some of the truly wonderful people who call that town home ...

I wish Ross and Bonnie well on this upcoming visit, and I hope it brings them and the good folks who stop by Chipperfields lots of good things ...

Chipperfields is still a place I miss deeply, and this wondrous coming together of one of my favourite radio programmes (complete with the books and cds) The Vinyl Cafe and one of my favourite places - Chipperfield Coffee Company, fills me with nothing but profound sadness that I simply can not be part of it ...

Such is the vagaries of life ... for now - Congrats Ross and Bonnie - I truly hope everything goes well!! You've earned it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you now have good words to say about Chipperfields, don't you think it is time to pull your last entry in Chipperfiels Chronicles?

Anonymous said...

Hello, late night thoughts, people in the caring professions (like you, Rev) are so often given such unrealistic demands, such impossible standards to meet. And there is something about cutting down the stalks that try to grow tall among us... a desire to keep all of us average and stuck... I saw it for years and finally named it... The Stuck Syndrome. But it is hurtful, can end careers and destroy reputations, totally devastate families, like my own.

Nice to remember a happy place like Chipperfields... Sad to think of all that is lost.