Friday, April 13, 2007

I guess I'm a Snob ...

Tonight, Ms H and I went with a group from her school to a play in Brandon. The musical play was nice ... I would even say it was okay ... but I came home realizing for the first time how much I miss being able to go and see plays at the Stratford Festival ...

To be blunt, there is simply no where in the world like Stratford for live theatre ...

I've watched Maggie Smith, Peter Ustinov, William Hutt, Colm Feore, Nicholas Pennell, Douglas Rain, Martha Henry, Lucy Peacock, Sheila McCarthy, and dozens upon dozens of others tread the hallowed boards of the Stratford thrust stage and bring life to their respective roles ... I've watched the work of Shakespeare, Shaw, Brecht, Moliere, Ibsen, Gilbert & Sullivan and even contemporary playwrights like Stoppard and McDonald taken to an ethereal level on stage at Stratford ...

I love Good Theatre ... and tonight I realized how much I miss GOOD theatre ...

This may label me a snob. But so be it. Like they say - "I may not know art, but I know what I like ..." today I realized that what I like is ART, and it is wonderful ... and it is hard to find ...

Can you watch Peter Ustinov as King Lear, with Bill Hutt as his fool and EVER see live theatre the same way ???

No comments: