Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Unexpected contacts ...

The other morning the phone rang just as the kids were charging out the door ... the voice on the other end began by saying - "hey, it's R-----, from Langley. Do you remember me?"

I laughed ... I remembered him ... he had been a member of the Youth Group I was involved with while I served there ... he was one of the group of older teens that I spent many an hour with hanging out at the local coffee shop after Youth Group hearing about their lives and hopes and dreams ...

Hearing his voice after eight years was a treat ...

He and his family have relocated to Winnipeg, and now as a father, he's driving truck ... turns out his route in February will bring him through Minnedosa periodically ... we exchanged numbers and made the commitment to get caught up over a long over due coffee sometime ... The whole conversation was peppered with laughter and him expressing appreciation for my presence in his life "way back when" ... I hung up feeling better about my day ...

Later my text feature on my cell phone revealed a message from a sunburnt friend from Ontario who just returned from Cuba and just wanted to rub it in ...

Along the way, the technology we have surrounded ourselves with - phones, cells, text messaging, emails - have helped to make the world we live in a village ... connections are made, old friends found, new friendships formed and relationships made, strengthened and maintained ... all at the press of a button ... it's a wonderful thing.

And lately I can't help but feel deeply appreciative of the many unexpected contacts I have found myself encountering lately ... each one has brightened up my day considerably ...

No comments: