Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Living in the moment ...


,
"I'm late, I'm late ..." thus the White Rabbit from Alice's adventures is indelibly etched in our collective conscience ... dashing into the scene, he holds his pocket watch announcing that he has put his well being at risk by his tardiness ...
,
In our modern society we tend to be ruled by a tyrannical devotion to the clock - scheduling our meetings and events with minute by minute precision ... and our stress levels rise accordingly ...
,
Yesterday I had a scheduled happening in the middle of the morning, and had planned the rest of my day around it ... there was time to get a number of things done both before and after, and with time off from work, no worries about my time being pressured by other factors ... BUT then at 6:25 a text informed me that my mid-morning appointment would have to be delayed due to circumstances beyond the control of myself and my texting friend ...
,
"No worries," I replied, "things will work out ..."
,
And in that moment I stepped into the "NOW" and stayed focused and present to the present moment and what it offered ...
,
Could I do anything about the delay?
"NO"
Could I change anything by fretting over it?
"NO"
Would getting angry or frustrated do anything?
"NO"
,
I awaited further details from my friend, and began planning for the end of the day to ensure the kids wouldn't miss out on their appointments and commitments lest I couldn't get back to Brandon on time ...
,
Looking back on the day my mid-morning commitment moved to the middle of the afternoon and in the process my day was filled with opportunities that would not have availed themselves to me had the original planned schedule been realized ...
,
I got ALL of the laundry done before heading out the door ... I got my dishes washed and put away ... I swept my kitchen and living room (a chore that was DESPERATELY NEEDED) ... and I had an unexpected phone call from a now-grown member of a youth group I lead back in BC, who filled me in on the arrival of his son less than a month ago, and news of his now 2 year old daughter ...
,
As I hung up the phone and got ready to head into Winnipeg with a plan of shopping and poking around at a couple of stores I wanted to visit, I realized that none of the things I had accomplished would have happened had the original plan prevailed ... Instead of being stressed out over things I couldn't control, I took the advice of Eckhart Tolle, and stayed present to the moment, and lived in the NOW ... I enjoyed the moment and rolled with what would be and filled my day with many wonderful moments of laughter, friendship, conversation and PURE UNADULTERATED JOY.
,
Who could really ask for any more ???
,
My day started with an early text bearing what could be regarded as bad news ... in that moment I could have opted to be like the White Rabbit and fret my way through out the day ... instead though, I took a deep breath, I stayed present to the moment and had a wonderful day from beginning to end ... and for ALL of THAT I am very very thankful ...
,
May you have a day JUST LIKE IT !!!
The key is being present to the moment !!??

No comments: