Tuesday, October 21, 2008

This past weekend Beetle got a WHACK of tootsie roll pops as presents for her "birthday", she has generously shared them with me each time I've been up to M's house ... my jacket currently has two cherry flavoured pops nestled safely inside and I enjoyed another this evening ...

As I was savouring the tootsie roll pop my mind wandered into some dusty old files and recalled the cardboard barrels that used to stand at the end of grocery check out aisles ... the ones with the little Scottish boy festooned across their surface, and filled with bundles of Kerr lollipops ... my favourites were the black licorise flavoured ones and the red cherry flavoured ... I would eat the other coloured flavours first and enjoy the black and red one's last ... and yes, before anyone says it - I ALSO EAT MY RED SMARTIES LAST ... I always have !!

But the recollection of the Kerr Lollipops got me thinking about OTHER candy from my youth ... there were the soft Kerr Toffees at Great Aunt Zipporah's, the hard candy humbugs and fruit drops in tins at Grandma and Grandpa's and licorise all-sorts and pretzils on the coffee table at Audery's ... my childhood was filled with a HUGE variety of candies and treats ... I've mused before about the Halloween Kisses that MUST be part of my seasonal enjoyment ...

Tonight though I'm on a nostalgic walk down a confectionary memory lane ... if only I could remember the name of the company who made the tinned candies ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rev, check out this link.. you might find what you're looking for, or at least a good place to start!
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=603

j