Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Everything Old Becomes New Again ...

.
Dear Mr Harper:
.
Today, while getting caught up on the news online, I found the same story at both the CTV and CBC news sites ... It noted that you have made no less than 148 patronage appointments to people with ties to the Conservative party just prior to your election call.
.
.
.
While I applaud you for ensuring that the vacant posts on various committees, boards and other government bodies are filled to better serve all of us, I have to wonder how you, as one who was so firmly opposed to such patronage appointments by the previous Liberal Governments could have such an oversight. Surely you haven't abandoned the HIGH moral ground you once claimed by so blatantly resorting to patronage appointments to thank and reward the party faithful.
.
I would not like to think that Stephen Harper would resort to such pork-barrelling after so many years of protesting against it ... has the memory of Chretien's Liberals and the Sponsorship scandal slipped away THAT quickly ???
.
ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY EIGHT political patronage appointments??!!
.
I could call this a coincidence if it was a dozen or so. BUT, Mr Harper, 148 stretches it a wee bit too much. This smacks of political pork barrelling, the very thing you promised repeatedly would NOT be part of your party's legacy. Surely, you don't want to be likened to Mr Chretien for such petty politicking.
.
However, as one who has not voted Conservative nor Reform in my life, I would like to assure you that I am more than ready and willing to serve the people of Canada in any capacity that might be available. The prospect of sitting on a Committee that pays 80 to 100 000 per year plus expenses has a definite appeal to one who has often struggled from pay cheque to pay cheque.
.
I have my CV, and references ready to send to you, should you choose to consider me for any current or future vacancies. I have a background in public service, and of late have worked closely with a number of community groups and government bodies addressing the issues of poverty, hungery, housing and homelessness in the City of Brandon. I am also working on my Masters in Rural Development, and am familiar with a wide breathe of academic issues ranging from Social Capital to Asset Mapping and numerous others. I am adaptable, a quick learner and have a very high IQ.
.
I feel I would be able to serve the people of Canada well, and if recieving such an appointment requires voting for the Conservative Party, well, I would happily vote for Mr Tweed in my current riding. He's done a fine job and has represented Brandon well, and no doubt will serve Canada in the future in whatever appointment you bestow upon him when he retires from politics.
.
Mr Harper, please consider this letter my application for any vacant position in the Government Service sector. I wrote you previously with the same offer, but you must have been so busy that you didn't have the chance to respond. I would suggest to you that one way of countering the media's contention that you have in this current round of appointment, engaged in political patronage, would be by offering a position to a radical, out-spoken, left leaning person like myself. They couldn't possibly say that you are rewarding one of your cronies.
.
If you would like to discuss this further, I would gladly pay for the coffee, wine or beer - your choice. I know you're busy, but taking a quick break from the stresses of the campaign trail, kicking back and relaxing would be a good thing. Give me a call - I'm sure my number is one file. .
If it wasn't previously, I'm pretty sure it is NOW!!
.
In the meantime, good luck in the election and happy campaigning. I look forward to hearing from you.
.
Oh, and as one father to another: give your damned kids a hug in public once in a while ... slapping on a sweater vest and pretending to be all warm and friendly in an ad on tv is one thing, but patting your daughter on the shoulder when she heads off for school ??? Mr Harper open those arms and hug the girl !!!??? We didn't really buy it when you claimed that YOU bought Maple Leaf cold cuts like the rest of us, now THIS really doesn't help much either ...
.
Yours respectfully,
Me!

No comments: