Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Okay ... I gotta ask ...

Today, I read in the paper that Belinda Stronach, MP and heir apparent to the Magna International empire put together by her daddy Frank, has launched a campaign to purchase 500 000 Bed Nets for children in areas where Malaria is rampant ...

I applaud goal. Heck, I even applaud the effort. BUT ...

Today it was reported that Magna (Daddy's company - and Belinda's too), had posted a profit of only 29 MILLION dollars ... that on sales in excess of 24 BILLION - that with a 'B' - BILLION. (where is Carl Sagan when you need him ???)

Does any one else see a problem or a disconnect here ???

Belinda wants to raise $5 000 000 for the Bed Nets ... couldn't she, and shouldn't she, just get Daddy to cut a cheque and write it off as a donation for a tax break ??

Is it me or have the wealthy lost touch with the world in which the rest of us live ???

I applaud your goal Belinda, but why do ordinary Canadians have to pay for it ?? Could you scrape together a couple of million from the spare change lying around your many homes???

Just wonderin'...

No comments: