Friday, July 04, 2008

A historical tid-bit ...

I've said it a thousand times - "it ain't over till the fat lady sings ..." and not once did I ever think about where that ubiquitous phrase came from ... until today ...

I was looking something up online when I stumbled across a news item about the passing of Da Cook, a former sports writer for the San Antonio Express-News who is attributed with being the first to utter the phrase - "the opera ain't over until the fat lady sings ..." on air in 1978.

Reportedly, the phrase was first published two years earlier and itself was a variation on an older Southern comment ...

Regardless, today the Fat lady has apparently stepped up to the microphone and begun the song that drops the curtain on the life of Dan Cook, who died at the age of 81 ... He left the world an impressive legacy in his immortal 8 words ... 8 words uttered countless times by hundreds of thousands of people ... Good Work Don !!

Oh, and in other news former US Senator Jesse Helms has died at the age of 86 ... personally, I'm more impressed with Mr Cook's legacy than Mr Helms ... but that's just me !!

No comments: