Saturday, June 02, 2007

What we should be about ...

I was at my FIRST Rotary District Conference in Brandon today ... I might not have gone otherwise, but I was presiding at the Memorial Service for Rotarians who had died in recent months ...

The day was a blur of presentations, speeches and celebrations of all things Rotary. It continues tomorrow, but I won't be able to attend. I'm glad I went today though ... I needed a breath of fresh air to breeze through my day ...

I enjoyed the parade of nations when the Rotary Exchange students brought in the flags from their home countries ... It was awesome to see youth from around the world who are living with us in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario ... BUT, what I particularly enjoyed was the presentations on the ways in which Rotary is making a difference around the world supporting education, health and other programmes throughout the under-developed world. The projects are varied and dispersed - but they are ALL making real differences in the lives of those accessing the services offered.

In the midst of the day I had a conversation with a fellow Rotarian who noted my clerical collar (I was dressed for the Memorial) and engaged me in a conversation about the Modern Church ... our conversation ended with him observing:

"I wish that Churches today would focus on what's important ... When you read the Bible there are a handful of verses that MIGHT be about things like Homosexuality, but the vast majority of what you read is about justice - feeding the hungry, caring for the poor, loving the orphans and look out for the outcasts ... I think the Church should be about that and leave the conversations about sex aside for awhile ... The world would be a better place then ..."

My mouth was hanging open and all I could manage was a feeble - "Amen brother," followed by a smile ...

He went on to say that he attends Church but to make a difference he works with Rotary ...

As I drove home I couldn't help but think that this year's motto for Rotary (Lead The Way) is apt ... maybe if we in the Church followed Rotary's lead not only would the eradication of Polio be possible - perhaps the eradication of poverty, hunger and a host of other diseases would be possible too ...

I think I learned today what the Church NEEDS to be about ...

As they say: Thanks Rotary !!!

No comments: