Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Good to the Last Drop ...

Last Saturday in a vain attempt to settle my tumultuous guts and lessen the debilitating migraine that had settled in following the wedding ceremony I had just attended, I grabbed what would appear to be my last take out coffee from the local coffee shop I once frequented ...

The physical symptoms of stress that settled in as I realized that I couldn't attend the remainder of the nuptials rendered that final cup of coffee a beverage that was simply consumed rather than enjoyed ... Had I realized it was to be my last cup, I would have savoured it a little bit more ...

In the short days since, I've recovered from the ailments that settled in that night, and I've geared my day to no longer include the darkening of the door of a place that had been an important part of my life and my journey ... I have learned to adapt my coffee consumption at home, and I doubt my absence has been noted ... It's worth noting though, that often the significant loses simply break upon us and we have little time to prepare, and can only scurry to pick up the pieces and continue on ...

I didn't realize how much I missed the setting, the people and the coffee until this afternoon when I dashed into a similar enterprise in Brandon ...

As I stepped up to the counter today and uttered the words, "The largest size of your darkest blend with a touch of cream please ..." I realized that it has been months since I've had to ask for a coffee, much less the roast blend that I wanted ... it made me somewhat sad ... I began to realize what I've been forced to give up ...

But in the sum total of life ... I'm merely saying "adieu" to a place that has of late caused me far too much discomfort to make it a worthwhile presence in my life ... my one regret is that I didn't realize it was to be my last coffee when I stepped out the door ... I would have lingered over the moment a little more ...

No comments: