Sunday, May 04, 2008

It's doesn't matter ... it's in the past ...

I've been reading and listening to Eckert Tolle's work "A New Earth", which I recommend highly for people who want to move from where they are to where they want and NEED to be ... there is something very Zen like in Tolle's approach to life ... Living in the present, letting go of the past and creating a reality that is positive and whole ... His words are at times uncomfortable because we have to let go of those things in our lives that may be familiar, but that are unhealthy, unhelpful and even toxic - and sometimes those things are the relationships with people whom we have convinced ourselves WE LOVE ...

Over and over, as I listen to his words and reflect on them, Tolle reminds me of the scene in The Lion King when Rafiki, the mystical witch doctor tells Simba a now adult lion he has to go back and confront his Uncle and reclaim the Pride Lands, to live in the present. The conversation goes like this:

Simba: I know what I have to do. But going back will mean facing my past. I've been running from it for so long.

(Rafiki hits Simba on the head with his walking stick)

Simba: OW! Jeez, what was that for?

Rafiki: It doesn't matter. It's in the past.

Simba: Yeah, but it still hurts.

Rafiki: Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it.

(swings his stick at Simba again who ducks out of the way)

Rafiki: Ha. You See ....

Below is the clip from the movie:

1 comment:

My Own Woman said...

I love the Lion King, but until now, I did not take to heart this little lesson that you presented. It's in the past....or is it? Now....what a blog idea!