Sunday, August 31, 2008

Dust Bunnies and Laptops DON'T mix ...

Over the last couple of weeks I've been having my laptop suddenly shut down for no apparent reason ... I've ran every scan imaginable and checked for viruses, spy ware and ad-ware ... and still it continued to just shut down without warning ...

Last night as I was lying in bed sweltering in the un-godly humidity that came AFTER a thunderstorm, the thought occurred to me ... "I wonder if it is overheating ..."

So this morning fueled by a cup of Fair Trade Coffee (Level Ground's Awasa), I took a set of tiny screw drivers and opened the access port for the cooling fan ... As I pulled the plastic free and revealed the fan the only words to escape my lips were - "OH MY GOD !!!!"

There were dust bunnies snuggled in against the blades of the fan, around the exhaust opening and most ominiously - there was a thick layer of dust (a bunny on steroids) covering the fins for cooling the hard drive ...

Taking the can of aerosol duster, I rousted the bunnies from their warm hide-aways ... then I removed the cover on the fan itself and extracted more dust than I want to think about ...

Now several hours later, I have been using my computer and have experienced exactly ZERO mysterious shut downs ... obviously the rendering the dust bunnies homeless has been a good thing for my lap top ... AND my patience !!
.
.

2 comments:

Katie Bowen said...

Those bunnies are sooooo cute! Glad to hear your computer is better!

Reverend Shawn said...

Thanks - the dust bunnies IN my computer were NOT so cute ...