Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Recommended Reads ...

Months and months and months ago, I stopped for a visit at my favourite bookstore Callan Books in Stratford Ontario - a haunt from my days as a University student ... I've commented numerous times that proprietor John has NEVER steered me wrong on a book selection ...

I remember in University coming home for a weekend, or a longer break and stepping into the tiny book shop tucked away on a back street not far from the river, only to be greeted with a warm smile and after a visit to get caught up, John would touch his chin with his index finger and say - "I have a book for you ..."

He would then offer a book that I KNOW I would never chose for myself, but that was a perfect choice to read in that moment ... It was John who first put me on to John Irving, and dozens of other authors I might never have considered reading without his recommendation ...

On my last visit in the summer of 2007, I stepped into the shop looking for some summer reading while I attended the Psycho-Vocational Assessment, and then painted my mom's house in the waning days of summer ... John suggested a number of books for my consideration, and I can honestly say they were all good choices. (he knows my reading tastes that WELL !!)

But one set just didn't appeal to me at the time. They were the trilogy by American writer, Richard Ford pictured here ...

.

.

When I first picked up The Sportswriter, the story just didn't do anything for me ... but this summer I picked it up again and found myself resonating with the story of Frank Bascombe, a man in his late 30's facing a life in transition and flux ... freshly divorced, facing a career change, struggling to find his way and his meaning in life ... the tale echoed my reality in a stark and startling way ...

.

Each installment falls on a three day weekend seven years apart and traces the changes in Frank's life, and the ebb and flow that can happen in life ... his reflections on life, relationships and the world are worth pausing to consider ... the wisdom Frank shares as he simply goes about his life is at times breath-taking ... and at times, it echoes what I find myself facing ...

.

.

I realized as I turned the last page of "The Lay of the Land" that John had made yet another fine recommendation ... the problem was that I wasn't ready last year to hear Frank's story, and to share Ford's gritty real life writing ... but with the ebb and flow of life's tides, I found myself in a place where not only was I ready to read the stories, I was able to appreciate the depth and breadth of the story and the lessons they offer from the reflections on life's vagaries ...

.

They may not be a story for everyone ... but I would highly recommend them to someone looking for a story that simply wrestles with the fullness of life ... Ford's trilogy is powerful and amazing ...

.

and I remain thankful for John's recommendations ... everyone needs a bookstore like THAT in their life ...

.

No comments: