Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Sometimes ...

The other day I was cruising the net, getting caught up on the news and feeling overwhelmed by the BAD, BAD, BAD news that seemed to fill the various web pages I check out each day ... I went to CBC and was feeling kind of blah about our world when I noticed a little side bar story called "A Matter of Faith: Walking Canada"

Intrigued, I clicked on the link and found the story of Syed Soharwardy, who is the grandson of a Kashmiri Mufti and himself one of the founders of a group called Muslims Against Terrorism. This past April Soharwardy began walking from Halifax to Victoria to raise awareness about the effect violence has in our world ...

He has re-mortgaged his home to pay for his trek, he is not asking for money, and is trying to connect with like-minded people to talk about an issue that affects ALL OF US.

I was in awe ... I thought to myself - "Gee, I wish there was something I could do ..."

I should know that when that thought hits, the Cosmos is at work ... things are happening ... my colleague and I are trying to arrange a warm welcome to Brandon for Mr Soharwardy when he arrives in Brandon on Friday, and next week he'll drive back to Brandon to address our Tuesday meeting of Rotary ... All because I clicked on a side bar item that looked positive in the midst of a torrent of negative news stories ...

The Cosmos is truly a wondrous place ... and with people like Mr Soharwardy out there, it has the potential of getting better literally ONE STEP AT A TIME !!!

Click here to learn more about the Multi-Faith Walk Against Violence. (and stay tuned)

No comments: