Thursday, August 21, 2008

Tonight ...


Tonight, lying in (or rather ON) my bed in the heat, with the windows wide open and a gusty breeze blowing through the room, I listened to the sounds of the night in my new neighbourhood ...
.
There was nothing untoward to be heard ... but then I realized that there was a very familiar sound that has been absent from my hearing for far far too long ... The gentle "creek-creek-creek" of the humble field cricket was floating through my window from the backyard ...
.
It's been a LLLLLOOOONNNNGGGGG time since I've heard the call of the cricket much less been lulled asleep by it ... it's funny the difference a mere 50 kms can make ... I don't remember EVER hearing a cricket in Minnedosa ... and I didn't miss it until I heard it again ...
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shawn,

Enjoyed the post. As always, your writing brings back the small towns I lived in as a kid.

Thought you might enjoy this reminiscence I wrote a few years ago.

http://crackerboy.us/page-three/essays/the-orchestra/

Regards,
Bill

Anonymous said...

Man you know how to hold a grudge against an entire town. Not everyone in Minnedosa wanted you to leave. Don't put Minnedosa over as a hell-hole because some of the people that live there screwed you over.