Sunday, October 15, 2006

And so I came home ... and said Adieu ...


I think it was on Night Court that at the end of the episode where the character Flo died, they had the "In memory of ..." screen with her voice saying - "I laughed. I cried. It became a part of me ..."

Today I laughed. I cried. And I said a heartfelt adieu to a place that for me his Holy, and Wonderful and Home ... In a few short weeks my Home Congregation of Centennial United Church will bid farewell to a building that has housed them (in many incarnations) since 1900. Before that, they worshipped in a building across the street ...

The Congregation started as German Speaking Evangelical Church, then in the 1940s became Centennial Evangelical United Brethren Church, and in 1968 becae Centennial United Church ... but it never lost touch with its roots ... even today many of those who gathered to worship have roots (like mine) that run deeply into that German Methodist tradition ...

Today was special. I have only been home to preach twice since my ordination. And today I got ready to say Good Bye ... Good Bye to a building filled with many happy memories, Good Bye to a place that let me be me, Good Bye to a place that helped me become who I am today ...

It's still a beautiful building, it is still filled with beautiful people, but the reality of the modern church has caught up to them - and they need to embark on courageous, heroic and painful choices that lead them to the hard decision to close ...

Today I preached at Home one last time ... I may try to come back before they are done ... but it's hard to say ... right now, I've laughed, I've cried, I've offered words of hope and encouragement and I've said a long overdue thank you to the people who loved and encouraged me when I was a youth ... They had every reason in the world to beat me three ways to Tuesday for some of the stunts I was part of, and party to - but they never did. They always offered unconditional love and encouragement ... and THEY helped me on my journey to ministry.

In the coming days I will post my sermon ... and my pictures ... and more of my memories ... But for now, with tears in my eyes, I can only say again - "Adieu, dear friends" to the wonderful people who are, have been and will always be Centennial United Church ...

In the coming days a page is turning - but the story continues ... I am proud to be a child of Centennial United Church - I am proud to be a child of the Evangelical United Brethren Church of Canada - I'm proud to carry from that building the stories of my part in their history and heritage ... I'm proud to be able to call Centennial HOME ... and today I was bathed and washed in that love and encouragement ...

Thanks - and God Bless ...

Stay tuned ... more to come ...

No comments: