Tuesday, October 31, 2006

When Hallowe'en Helped Make Me Popular ...


As a kid, having a Birthday on Hallowe'en was kind of cool ...

It was fun to have dinner, then head out to trick or treat, and to come home for cake and ice cream ...

It was always fun to get dressed up and to hit the streets of our neighbourhood to trick or treat ... we loved going to Dixie Lee Fried Chicken (a now defunct Take Out Chicken Restaurant) where if you were costumed, you got a piece of chicken, then we hit Pinto Variety for a pop !!

But the best part of Hallowe'en was simply this: for one day a year, I was popular. Kids who went Trick or Treat'ing with me, came home with twice as much candy !! Everyone in my neighbourhood knew me, and knew it was my birthday, so they would load my loot bag, and the bags of my fellow Trick or Treat'ers !!

It was the one time of year I was popular ... It was fun, but even more fun to say - "No, you don't want to hang with me the rest of the year ..."

Hallowe'en always seems to bring out the monsters doesn't it ???

No comments: