Saturday, April 11, 2009

Signs of Spring ...

So, on Thursday morning, I'm sitting at the computer in my living room trying to get some writing assignments done when suddenly my living room sounds like someone is using a jack hammer outside my window ...

Listening closely I realize it is some member of the wood pecker family of birds ...

Intrigued, I grab my camera and head outside to have a look and try for a photo ... I'm assuming from the noise that it MUST be a pileated woodpecker or one of the big members of the family ...

Eventually I spot the LITTLE fellow responsible for the HUGE noise on the top of the telephone pole in my front yard ... the nuthatch was perhaps 4 inches in length and offered the world a sign of spring that was truly breath-taking ...

My one regret is that he wouldn't hold still long enough for a better picture ...

No comments: