Friday, July 13, 2007

Happy Friday the 13th !!!

All references to slasher films not with standing, I don't understand what the big deal is about Friday the 13th ... even with my birthday on the 31st of October, I just don't get what the big deal is.

I suppose I'm not superstitious, and so it doesn't matter to me. It's another day on the calendar.

Admittedly Friday the 13th has been co-opted by Hollywood and utilized as THE day to launch the latest spooky slasher films, using the superstition surrounding the day to add to the mystique of what can only be described as a mediocre genre ... Personally, I'd rather watch the old horror films with names like Lugosi, Hitchcock, Karloff and Cheney (not the VP!!) than anything Hollywood has produced in the last 25 years ... blood and gore does not make a good horror film ... suspense and tension does !!!

So, I'll mark the day like I've marked other Friday the 13ths ... by simply going about my day ... Maybe tonight I'll pop on the Karloff Frankenstein, or the Lugosi Dracula, or something by Hitchcock to honour the day ... otherwise ... it's just another date on the calendar !!

No comments: