Friday, October 19, 2007

An Evening With Tomson Highway !!

A few days ago I finished reading "Kiss of the Fur Queen" by First Nations author Tomson Highway ... I have been trying to put into words a description and a crituque of the book ... and to be honest, I have been at a loss for words.

The book, like its author, is simply and utterly amazing ...

Highway's use of language - the way in which he weaves words to describe events, happenings and scenes is stunning ... and the story itself is poignient, powerful and enchanting. The auto-biographical nature of the book charts its course through the many challenges that native people have been forced to endure. The story touches on Residential School, life in the north, the clash of cultures, violence against Native women, struggles with sexuality, the hypocrisy of Church, alcoholism, and the tone of live familiar to First Nations people across this country ...

Every word ... every sentence ... every page resonated with in me. The pieces of the story Tomson shares is an echo of experiences I heard a dozen times a month sitting with folks in Bella Coola as they told me about their journey ... I would offer "Kiss of the Fur Queen" as one of my top ten books ... it is a book that I would read again ... and it definitely is a book I would highly recommend. Not only is the story powerful, but the writing style itself is simply stunning. It's worth finding.

Before I wrap this posting up though, I have to offer some words on the man behind the words ... Tonight at the Community Conference Centre Tomson Highway shared his talents as composer, pianist and storyteller in an hour long concert that had him tickling the ivories of the magnificent grand piano. Like his writings, Tomson's luminesent and very ample talent is hard to simply describe ... The playing was so enchanting that 8 year old Beetle refused to leave when big sister Ms H HAD to go home half way through ... it take alot to catch the interest of an 8 year old musically, but Tomson did it.

But the whole night was an amazing meld of story, reflection, and music ... all provided by one man - Mr Tomson Highway ...

I'm delighted that for a brief period this fall Tomson has been a resident in our community, and has been so willing to share his talents and abilities ... I look forward to the book he is currently working on ... and I like many others in town tonight have become Tomson Highway fans ... and after reading his book and hearing his piano prowess ... all I can say is - Rightly So !!!

Thanks Tomson, for stopping by and making Minnedosa home.

No comments: