Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My Posting on Environmental Action Day ...

I would apologize for not offering a posting today on the them of the Environmental Action Day which today was, and remains ... I would apologize, but I don't think I have anything to apologize for ...

Today I was too busy out and about on my bike to blog ... I was enjoying the local environment from the seat of my bike ...

In the bigger picture - I've always been a fierce environmentalist ... I care deeply about the environment and the foot print we leave upon it ... I've been a recycler since before it was hip to do that ... we've been composting since our days back in Bella Coola ... and we try to walk, ride our bikes or move about in some way OTHER than a motorized vehicle ...

More locally - as a family we have always enjoyed going out for walks, hikes or bike rides ... innumerable trips around the Buffalo Compound in town, and dozens of ventures to Riding Mountain National Park have left indelible memories of encounters with nature, the weather and assorted wildlife ...

And more recently, as part of my "get healthy" kick, I've been riding my bike more than I have ridden or driven any of our vehicles ... I watch what I eat, prioritizing food that is organic, local and not leaving a negative environmental footprint ... and I continue to support Fair Trade Products for coffee, tea and chocolate, so that my indulgences not only benefit the growers, but the environment in which they live many miles away ...

So ... my posting for today is a refusal to apologize for not blogging about the Environment ... my only excuse is that I was too busy continuing to do what I've always done ... Caring for it so that my children will inherit the kind of world they deserve and need to be healthy, whole and caring individuals living life to its fullest.

That's the least I can do today, tomorrow and into the future ...

1 comment:

Susannah Anderson said...

Good post, Shawn.

I debated whether or not to mention the day. In the end, I posted about the environment, but didn't link it to the day. After all, that's what I blog about, day in and day out.

I see a problem in labeling one particular day as "The Day" to think about an important issue, unless it also becomes a 365-day habit.