Friday, October 05, 2007

It's Funny What Can Happen ...

Awhile back I suggested that my readers head over to a blog called "The Assertive Cancer Patient" to read the reflections from a woman named Jeanne Sather. Jeanne is living with Cancer, and has embarked on a "search" for a Canadian Husband to access the Universal Health Care that we north of the Border so easily take for granted ...

Little did I know when I first visited her sight where this could lead ... Jeanne's search continues (you can pop over and read about it), but this morning I got a call on my cell from a reporter for The Toronto Star, who was writing an article about Jeanne and her search, but more importantly, about the REASONS why she has launched this search.

I was asked about how I found the blog. How I felt about her search. And how I felt about people (mainly Canadians) who had called her a freeloader wanting to access our medical system ... Today after I thought more about it I realized that Jeanne and her journey has made me more proud to be a Canadian.

I know that this weekend, if I or one of my family members gets sick, we will not be left destitute by the medical bills. Our system may not be perfect, but it is still pretty good. Jeanne's search for a Canadian husband continues ... I hope she's successful ... or at the very least her journey inspires some political folks south of the Border to hear her and do something about her story, and countless others that are out there ...

Stay tuned ... if the story appears on the web tomorrow ... I'll have a link here !!!

1 comment:

fun grannie said...

Now this is interesting. A family member of mine wanted to adopt a child. They were told, the child must meet requirements, if it is a child of a different nationality, it must meet Canadian requirements, and not have any health issues.
Interesting, that a person may phish for a husband or partner, just to achieve the benefits that Canadians enjoy by birth, oh, and also the constant lifelong taxes we pay!
Just another pov (point of view!)

Sallie