Friday, November 30, 2007

The Dark Knight ...

I liked the campy tv version of Batman, but it was as a adult that I discovered the full depth and breadth of him as a character ... I read Frank Miller's Batman graphic novel in the late 80's, then began reading the new issues of the Batman titles that showed the fullness of his dark brooding nature ...

The other day over at Aerophant, blogger Tai mused about her love of Aquaman back when she was a child ... I have to confess that I always like Aquaman best until I discovered the caped crusader in my teens ... but it wasn't until I read the adult Batman material that I came to fully appreciate him ...

One of my personal favourites remains a graphic novel entitled "Arkham Asylum" wherein the various villans that Batman had locked away for psychiatric help take over Gotham's Institution and call for The Dark Knight to come for a visit ...

The scene that stands out for me is when one of the characters says - "we're in here because we dress up and have visions of grandeur while we're running around outside and they've told us that WE'RE crazy ..." he then asks Batman what makes him so special ... "why shouldn't you be in here with the rest of us?"

It's a hard question for the tortured soul in the black suit ... it's a struggle for him not to simply step into a cell and shut the door ...

Batman wrestles a truth that lies within all of us ... he externalizes his fights with his personal demons by chasing them through the streets of Gotham ... his villans typify and embrace the very things that dog each of us ...

Batman reminds us that the line between madness and sanity is sometimes razor thin ... and the line between Villan and Hero is sometimes hard to discern until we step back and take in the big picture ... I've always like Batman, but lately as I've been struggling with some big issues in my life he keeps reminding me to fight for justice and good above all else, and let people judge you as they see fit.

Batman, and ultimately all the superheroes remind us that sometimes they are just wrong ... and it will be OUR actions and our hearts that carry us through and leave as our legacy ...

No comments: