Friday, March 21, 2008

Katie Almighty ...

The other day, Katie over at "At the Half Note" shared a musing by her delightful daughter Annie reflecting on a recent houseguest hosted in NYC. The posting, "Bruce Almighty" offered a reflection on the lessons learned, not by the Host herself, but by Annie herself from the visit of Katie's house guest Bruce ...

Today just as I hit the 'send' button on an email to Katie, my cell phone rang and a voice said softly - "It's Katie from New York..." I already knew that ...

Katie then offered me a profound lesson she had learned from life and from Bruce ... first she talked about just being present to THIS moment and all that it offers, both good AND bad, and work at creating this moment to be GOOD ...

Then she shared another snippet of profound wisdom which she prefaced by saying - "I think it's hard for you to take things from others because you've been a Pastor ..."

I gulped and silently agreed ... fortunately Katie continued ...

She said "you have talked about all the losses you've had ... but you know, they aren't really losses. They are things you let happen. Things you were an active part in. AND NOW, you have the opportunity to be and to claim more ... stop seeing the negative ... start seeing it in another way ..."

I hung the phone realizing that as we move from the dark shadowy placed into the light, we need to stop counting our losses, because they aren't really losses any way ... they are moments of learning where we let go of that which is less than beneficial to us, ... and instead we embrace the possibility and potential of more ...

In the face of these so-called "losses" I am fortunate to have some strong friends who continue to stand by me and offer comforting words of support, and sharp (yet loving) words of criticism ... it makes me realize, I REALLY lost NOTHING, and have only GAINS ahead ...

Thanks Katie for that timely reminder ...

1 comment:

laughing pastor said...

Honestly it is far easier to be angry sometimes. I know....I've chosen this route. Katie speaks the truth....even though I am finding it hard to make good what seems so bad....I atleast heard today. That's the first step. I heard Katie, and some other voices. I know they speak the truth. Now Lord, give me strength to grab hold of the truth and let go of the anger.