Sunday, June 29, 2008

One of My Favourite Spots on the Planet ...

The site of the Prisoner of War camp at Whitewater Lake within Riding Mountain National Park is one of my favourite spots to pedal to when I'm out and about in the park ...

I don't know much about it, other than it was there, and there are few foundations and footings still visible even after 60 years:


A highlight is to tromp through the brush towards the river that flows out of Whitewater and find nestled beneath a grove of spruce trees the dug-out canoe where it was left over 60 years ago by its creator when he was sent home at the end of the war:



The 10 kms bike ride in is beautiful ... the setting is gorgeous ... but with each step over the site, I feel the richness of history ... and if I sit and listen I can hear the whispered echoes of the men who called this place "home" far from the battles that brought them here, and far from their families who missed them ... It's a powerful place with an interesting history ... one I want to learn more about ...

For now, I'm happy to pedal in once in awhile for a visit ... and to walk through the grass meadows that once housed strangers in a strange land, waiting for the end of a horrific war ... in this time of peace, Whitewater reminds us of the power of new beginnings and fresh starts ...


No comments: