Sunday, June 15, 2008

Thanks for the recommendation ...

Yesterday for the first time in WEEKS, I stopped by the library for a visit and to return some VERY overdue books - along the way I picked up another book (I'll try to return it within 4 or 5 months this time), and a couple of dvds.

I was looking over the shelf of dvds when one of the Librarians picked up "An Unfinished Life" and said - "this is a sweet film ... it's just good."

"Okay," I said, "I'll try it ..." and I'm glad I did.

It IS a sweet film ... with Robert Redford and Morgan Freeman, what's not to like??

As I watched it, the first scene of the town where the story takes place caused me to think - "That looks like Ashcroft BC ..." a few strokes of the computer key board and I found out it WAS indeed filmed in and around Ashcroft ... later scenes took me back to the familiar landscape that I travelled through frequently while living in BC ... Kamloops, Hwy 97 North ... the Cariboo/Chilcotin ...

But what struck me most was a scene when Jennifer Lopez's character is telling the Sheriff why she never left her abusive boyfriend ... her words ring far too true:

"Want to know the ugly little truth ? You stay because you don't think you deserve any better. Cause you think it's the best you can do ... "

... I've watched too many beautiful women live that same fear and stay when they deserve better - the abuse doesn't need to be physical ... it can be emotional, spiritual, mental and verbal - abuse is abuse and should never be tolerated nor excused ...

... yet, women will stay and use the words - "but I love him ..." and the one that was made popular on the show C.O.P.S., - "But he's a good man ..."

This film shows them and ALL of us that life is worth more than fear and desperation ...

I know a couple of people I hope watch it and listen to the lessons it offers ...

It IS a VERY good film ... and I'm glad I took the time to watch it ... (just goes to show, it's worth listening to our librarians!!)

No comments: