Saturday, September 08, 2007

OHMIGAWD !!!!!

Growing up in Stratford Ontario, one of the true delights was a stop at the little chocolate shoppe on Brunswick Street called Rheo Thompson's ... their mint smooties were a delight. Through high school, the large mint smoothies (similar to the one above) were a favourite on those days when I was walking home ... and over the last few years I've introduced my children to the delights of Rheo's chocolates any time we've been back in Ontario ...

But alas ... like Rheo and his predecessor and mentor Olin Brown ... all good things must come to an end ...

A couple of years ago Rheo decided to hang up his apron and retire - selling his business to new folks who were proud to carry on the tradition Rheo had started many years earlier when he started up his own business after Mr Brown refused to sell out to him. (Olin thought Rheo was too young and inexperienced to be successful - BOY was he WRONG!) A couple of years ago I purchased chocolates at Rheo's and noticed they were different ... I couldn't put my finger on it - but they just weren't the same ... the difference was waved off by a staff member who said - "oh we've changed the mold style that's all !!"

In time I learned that not only had they changed the mold style, they had changed the recipes too ... the mint smoothies and the other chocolate delights were no longer the same ... progress had tinkered with perfection and ... well, it was disappointing.

Then a few months ago over at the Blog "I Can Fly, Just Not Up" my dear friend Candygirlflies mused on the trip she and her children had taken to a "NEW" chocolate shoppe in Stratford, one run by a former employee of the venerable Rheo company ... Chocolate Barr's !!

Last week while I was back in Stratford I decided to pick up some chocolate to bring home to my kids ... I heeded not only CFG's advice, but that of another old friend in town who said - "Barr's is by far the best chocolate ... it's like the chocolate that Rheo's USED to make ..." So off we went on a chocolate buying expedition...

ONE WORD:
-
OhMiGawd !!!!!!!
-
The minties by Chocolate Barr's are EXACTLY what the Mint Smoothies USED to be like at that other place ... and the other items they have there are simply and utterly incredible ... As I write this, there is a stack of butter lemon yellow boxes on the kitchen table (already sampled from) filled with a delectible selection of delights from this "new" chocolate and candy shoppe and the soft smell of minties is wafting through the air - it's a good way to start a day !!!
-
I simply can't say enough about Chocolate Barr's ... If you're in the Stratford area stop in and you'll see what I mean ... as for me - I NOW have a new place to stop whenever I go back to Stratford ...
-
So my thanks to CandyFliesGirl for the heads up ... and thanks to the owners and staff of Chocolate Barr's for bringing BACK to Stratford the tradition of HANDMADE chocolate started by Olin Brown many years ago ...

4 comments:

Candygirlflies said...

You owe me.

Big-time!

xo CGF

Reverend Shawn said...

I offer no argument ...

I DO owe you big time,

just as I owe you a BIG THANK YOU
for telling me about Barr's.

So, as I type - I raise a Mintie in salute and appreciation !!

xoxo

Candygirlflies said...

And I raises one back at you, sir. Actually, two. Okay, THREE...

The ultimate praise of Chocolate Barr's?

Guess who shops there...

None other than Mr. Rheo Thompson himself.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Rheo Thompson's was bought out??? HOW SAD!!! I loved their chocolate. But, thanks to you, now I know where to go when back home!!!!