Tuesday, September 12, 2006

And a Rocking Chair to Curl up in ...



The Children of my generation in Canada grew up watching two programmes ... Mr. Dress Up and The Friendly Giant ... I have many happy memories of both shows and the characters who inhabited the enchanted place that both hosts created ...

Today, preparing for my Sunday morning service I found the following reflection on one of those programmes ... The Friendly Giant ... I read it and then found myself whistling the tune that for many, many years has been part of the soundtrack of my childhood.

I loved the Friendly Giant with his pals Rusty the Rooster and Jerome the Giraffe, and even though I always wondered why The Giant kept his rooster in a sack on the wall, I enjoyed the programme and could feel myself curled up in the rocking chair at his feet each day ... Good memories ... but what I discovered today, some 30 years on, is that The Friendly Giant taught me good values ... and those are things the world needs more of ... It wasn't about commerical success, it was about teaching our children to dream and to make those dreams a reality with love, respect and care ...

I miss the Friendly Giant ... I miss Mr Dress Up ... but they helped make me who I am today ...

Bob Homme had a long and beloved career as "The Friendly Giant" After 26 years and over 3000 programmes, his was the longest running childrens' television show in Canada. It was unique show, based on a simple format. A minimum of personalities (him, Jerome the Giraffe and Rusty the Rooster), a stubborn belief in the power of imagination, and a fierce respect for children. Underlying it all was a powerful message: everyone is welcome; all are valued and respected.

What is less well known is that Bob Homme lived what he portrayed on his show. Repeated offers of money and worldwide syndication contracts were rejected when sponsors insisted that the roster of characters be expanded in order to allow the marketing of "Friendly Giant play figures" and other money making possibilities from the show.

Homme wanted to inspire and entertain children, NOT exploit them. He lived his life in harmony with the values he presented on his show. He was a credible witness to the power of love and acceptance of others ...

Thanks Bob ...

Now, I know why I've always had to have a rocking chair in my office ... it's a good place to curl up in ... Friendly taught us that for over 26 years ...

No comments: