Friday, September 08, 2006

Something to make you say "Hmmm...":

I've hung up my yellow ribbons - I remember our soldier in Afghanistan in countless prayers ... I want them home safely ... There's a little boy in our life who's dad is far away and like the little boy and his family and most of the community we call home - we want him back safely ... It's the futility of war that baffles me ... I found this quotation and thought - "This is soooo true ..."

How strange it is that military commanders who have killed countless thousands in battle, and whose soldiers have pillaged numerous homes, are feted as great heroes, Their names recorded in history.

Yet humble men and women of the soil, who labour day by day in the fields producing food to sustain bodily life are regarded as insignificant, their names forgotten when they die.

Does this mean we prefer death to life??

- Robert Van de Weyer from Celtic Parables: Stories, Poems, and Prayers. Northstone Publishing 1997.

To our troops over seas - come home safely - we don't want to remember your name ... we just want you back with your family ...

L'chaim!!

No comments: