Saturday, September 30, 2006

Biking with Thing 2 ...


This summer I retrieved from one of those claw games in the mall, a plush doll of Thing 2 ... He took up permanent residence in the pocket on my back pack ... He has hung out there (literally) since July ... Now when I go biking, he watches my back and keeps me company ...

The downside is that when I go into Chipperfields (the real one) I am now being called Thing 1 by some of the staff ... NICE ! Thanks girls !!

But, he is also something that seems to catch you attention, particularly when you come behind me on the road ... you notice his bright red costume and his neon blue hair ... and so far I haven't been run down. So, I'll assume it's working ...

Today Thing 2 and I did a major bike ride out and across the dam several times ... We went out and across the dam twice, then around the buffalo compound. We then took a pause at Chippefields' for a coffee, before going out and going around the dam two more times, then around the buffalo compound AGAIN, before going out past the elementary school and all the way out to Mohawk before coming back into town ... My legs and knees were SCREAMIN by the time I turned the corner and started heading into town ... It was then that I saw the train coming down off the cut to the west of town ... it was a LONG, LONG train with four engines ... I raced to the level crossing to get there before the train ... I likely didn't have to race, but it felt good to push myself that little bit more ...

Then Thing 2 and I headed for home for a rest ... It was a good way to waste a couple of hours in the sunshine ... we saw lots of ducks, lots of small birds, we spotted the blue birds again and we saw a musk rat wandering along the river ... The sunshine was glorious and the colours on the hills were spectacular ... It was a splendid autumn day ...

If my legs can take it - maybe in a little while I'll go out and go across the dam again ... We'll have to see ... For now Thing 2 is tired and wants to rest ...

No comments: